Music therapists often incorporate movement interventions within our sessions in senior care settings. Sometimes we do this because we are helping our clients to achieve specific physical goals such as improvement of gross or fine motor skills. Other times, we do this in order to help infuse some fun and energy into our group programs.
Below are some fun songs that older adults may respond to that encourage movement. What are your favourite movement-inspired songs? Tell us in the comments!
1. The Twist - Chubby Checker
2. Do Wah Diddy - Manfred Mann
3. The Locomotion - Little Eva
4. Dancing in the Street
5. La Bamba -
6. I Wanna Dance with Somebody - Whitney Houston
7. Aint No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye
8. Twist and Shout - Beatles
9. Blame it on the Boogie - The Jacksons
10. Shake, Rattle & Roll - Big Joe Turner